The Department of Chemistry was established to handle the Pre degree course in the year 1967. Later in 1971 the department was upgraded for conducting BSc (subsidiary) course. In 1976, the college started B.Sc Chemistry main course. In1981 the Chemistry department was upgraded in to Postgraduate department of Chemistry by starting the two year M.Sc Chemistry course. The Department has permanent affiliation from University of Calicut for the both programmes. In 2017 the Department has been upgraded to Research Centre under University of Calicut. At present there are eight teaching faculty members including Two Associate Professors and six Assistant Professors with three Faculty members having eligibility for Research Guideship. Department also have four laboratory assistants and a store keeper. There are fully equipped and separate laboratories for both BSc Chemistry and MSc chemistry students. Also we have a spacious research laboratory with sophisticated instruments for doing research work and projects. Also we have a well furnished staff room, store for chemicals, research scholars room, instrumentation rooms Computers with Internet facilities, project extension centre WELCHEM, projector mounted separate class rooms for each undergraduate and post graduate batches etc. In 2014 Department has identified as DST-FIST sponsored department and fund of 50 Lakhs have been sanctioned by DST, India for up gradation of teaching and infrastructural facilities along with the Department of physics.
The following are some of the major services given by the Department of Chemistry at present.
1. DRC (Dry Rubber Content) determination of field latex: One of the major agricultural products of the area is natural rubber. The prize of the latex is fixed on the basis of dry rubber content of the field latex. Planters of the surrounding area bring their rubber latex to determine the DRC.
2. Water Analysis: In the WELCHEM centre, we are having a Systronics water analyzer. Health department and local bodies make use of the facility as and when required.
3. Low cost production of high quality toilet soaps: With the help and support of IRTC (Integrated Rural Technology Centre, Mundoor, Palakkad) the extension centre conducts workshop on low cost soap production for the public’s and students.
4. Awareness classes: The centre offers awareness classes to farmers about the advantages and disadvantages of the usage of fertilizers, fungicides, pesticides etc. and about the soil testing.
5. Quality checking: fungicides like copper sulphate.
6. Recommendation of fertilizers to farmers.
7. Besides this all the faculty members are actively involved in the teaching, Research and Development activities by carrying out intense research work in various emerging areas of Chemistry like Nanochemistry, Material chemistry, Green Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, photochemistry, Coordination Chemistry etc. Faculties have been published many research papers in various international, National journals like Material Research Bullettin, Langmuir, Electrochemistry Communications, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Catalysis Today, Materials Letters, Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Applied Catalysis A, General, Journal of Nanoscience and nanotechnology, Tetrahedron Letters, Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry Letters, Journal of Enzyme inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry Research, Archiv Der Farmazie, Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews, Asian Journal of Chemistry, Indian Journal of Chemistry etc, and many other articles are under preparations or communications for publications in well reputed journals. All the faculty members are energetically carrying out various Minor Research Project works from University Grants Commission and are assisting the Undergraduate and Postgraduate students for the successful completion of their syllabus wised minor research projects.
The Department of Chemistry endeavors to be a recognized model for educating and graduating students, prepared to compete in and contribute to the ever-changing, technology-centered world of the 21st century by delivering high quality teaching, research and community services.
Mission The Department of Chemistry endeavors to be a recognized model for educating and graduating students, prepared to compete in and contribute to the ever-changing, technology-centered world of the 21st century by delivering high quality teaching, research and community services.
Vision The Department of Chemistry pledges itself to encourage in the broadest and most liberal manner towards the advances in chemistry through education by providing them with quality classrooms, projects, research and service opportunities. With a high standard for excellence in all three areas, the Department will produce students who are knowledgeable in chemistry and can think critically.
In support of our mission, the Chemistry Department strives to:
Promote innovative curriculum development while exposing students to advanced technology, To develop a sense of intellectual curiosity concerning chemical theory and an appreciation of the practical role of chemistry in life, Serve as good role models to students for safe and ethical professional behavior, Act as mentors to students by offering guidance in academics and value oriented life skills, Inspire students about the value of cross-disciplinary thinking by providing them with educational and research opportunities between chemistry and other fields of study.